Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Beyonce Has Got It Going On 
or how her bouncy tunes can melt the icy exterior of any snow queen 

Okay, so I had to go to the Post Office in town last week. There are lots of branches downtown, the closest being literally right next door to my workplace. The peculiar thing about this branch office is it is staffed entirely by women--save one gentleman. We call them The Little Sisters of the Perpetually Surly, and they are the most unpleasant group of dames I have ever encountered in the service industry. 

I am not kidding or exaggerating. They are snappish and scowly and just plain MISERABLE!!! A direct contrast to the lone male who could not possibly be any more pleasant or helpful. When I go there I cross my fingers that my timing is such I get in his line. 

Anywho, last time I had to post a package there was a line. As I got closer to the front, Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" song came on over the radio. As you may remember, it is very difficult for me to resist singing or dancing in public when I hear a catchy tune. And that tune is down right irresistible. I'm not a Beyonce fan, but that chorus gets in your head and hangs on like a pit bull on the arm of neighbor kid. It might also have something to do with my love of this hilarious SNL video. Here it is once again for your viewing pleasure. It's too funny not to watch again. I'll meet you at other end of the video. Enjoy.


(Visit www.MyRandomVideos.com for more random videos!)

But I digress...

So I'm in line singing "all the single ladies, all the single ladies" and bopping around when I look up and notice one of the Sisters of the Surly cracks a smile!?! No shit! 

Me: I can't help it. This tune is way too catchy.
Sister of the Surly #1: I know! I love this song. That Beyonce has got it going on. (starts to sing)
SOS #2: I love this song, too. It makes me happy. (again with the smiling)
Me: Have you seen that video on SNL with the guys all dressed in leotards and heels?
SOS #1: Hellz yeah! That Rocks! 
Me: Can you mail this for me for free?
SOS #1: What, are you drunk? Of course not.
Me: But, come on. We were just bonding over Beyonce...
SOS #2: What the hell does that have to do with anything.
Me: Come on. Just this once.
SOS #1: Security! 
Me: Wait. What?! Son of a Bitch. Not so tight with the shackles, pal. Hey, what is that? A TASER?!? Are you kiddi-- zzzzt!!

THUD
 
Okay that last bit didn't happen, but the next thing you know, we're all chatting and laughing and be-bopping to Beyonce. The one woman even knew all the words. We were totally bonding. For one brief, shining moment we were part of the same Sisterhood of Sunshine.  

Who knew Beyonce and her mindless, repetitive albeit infectious melody had the power to shatter the crusty outer coating and soften the Sisters of the Surley. She's like a Super Hero. Hopefully she'll continue to use her powers for good. 

No comments: